MuCell® Molding Technology
The MuCell® microcellular foam injection molding process for thermoplastics materials provides unique design flexibility and cost savings opportunities not found in conventional injection molding. The MuCell® process allows for plastic part design with material wall thickness optimized for functionality and not for the injection molding process. The combination of density reduction and design for functionality often results in material and weight savings of more than 20%.
By replacing the pack and hold phase with cell growth, lower stress parts are produced which have enhanced dimensional stability and substantially reduced warp age. Cell growth also results in the elimination of sink marks.
Unlike chemical foaming agents, the physical MuCell® process has no temperature limitation and does not leave any chemical residue in the polymer. This ensures consumer products are perfectly suitable for recycling within the original polymer classification and allows re-grind material to re-enter the process flow. The numerous cost and processing advantages have led to rapid global deployment of the MuCell® process, primarily in automotive, consumer electronics, medical device, packaging and consumer goods applications.
- Reduced resin consumption
- Faster molding cycle time
- Increased yields
- Smaller molding machine
- Use of lower cost filled polyolefin materials
- Thin to thick wall flow
- 1:1 wall thickness rib structure
- Material where needed for function versus flow
- Improved dimensional stability
- Less warp age
- Reduced petroleum based material consumption
- Reduced molding machine energy consumption
- Ability to re-grind / re-use molded parts
- Reduced carbon footprint versus solid molding
Faster to Market
- Fewer tooling iterations
- Predictable molded part geometry